|Theme||Science Fiction, Futuristic|
|Influences||Angband, Warhammer 40k (loosely)|
|Released||Jan 5, 2016 (Alpha/Demo)|
|Updated||Mar 6, 2016 (v1.4.0)|
|Interface||Graphical tiles, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Official site of Xenomarine|
A science-fiction-themed, graphical roguelike in which you play a space marine exploring a vast alien-infested space station.
As a 'Xenomarine' (part of a commando unit tasked with eliminating an alien infestation in a military research station) the player character explores a space station divided into multiple levels. Each level, including the aliens and items to be found, is procedurally generated. A wide variety of weapons, armor and useable items (including variants with e.g. damage or to hit bonuses) can be found while exploring each level. The player character's icon is updated to reflect the weapons and armor equipped.
The player character also acquires experience from killing aliens. Experience can be converted into skills at 'terminals' which must first be located in the level. The player will also acquire scrap metal and other raw materials, either by finding them directly, or converting unwanted weapons and armor into scrap. This scrap can be used at 'workbenches' to craft weapons, items and armor, and repair and improve armor.
Xenomarine features a wide variety of visually distinct enemy types. Combat mechanics include status effects, area effects and multiple damage types, to which both the player character and aliens have different levels of resistance or vulnerability.
As with all roguelike games, Xenomarine features permadeath.
Xenomarine is being updated regularly. Version 1.3.0 of the Demo introduced a graphical overhaul including 3D lighting effects. Version 1.5.0 included a major graphical update of the user interface. Version 1.6.0 added animation, rebalancing and improved map generation.
The following images illustrate the current version of the game:
- Atmospheric 3D lighting effects
- Intuitive mouse and keyboard interface
- Dual-wielding and weapon-plus-shield.
- Infinite gameplay - levels eventually repeat with harder enemies (Not in Demo)
- Highscore board
- Over 70 individually upgradable weapon types (approx 15 in Demo version)
- Weapon and armour choices reflected in the 'look' of the player character
- Unique useable items such as scanners, stimpacks and directional forcefields.
- Interactable scenery: moveable crates, exploding barrels, functioning doors
- Over 150 visually distinct enemy types (5 in Demo version)
- Multiple damage types and status effects
- Over 60 learnable skill upgrades
- Crafting (basic items can be crafted and armor upgraded with the relevant skills)
- Realistic sound effects
The game has been in development since early 2015. A free alpha Demo version was released on 5 Jan 2016 and has been updated regularly since. The current version as at 16 March is 1.5.0 and features significant graphical and other improvements to the user interface, as well as numerous gameplay and balancing improvements.
A full release history is available at the Devlog