|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Influences||NetHack, Diablo, Age of Wonders|
|Released||Oct 27, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||Apr 1, 2013 (R 15.06)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Interface||ASCII or Tiles|
|Game Length||113 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a real-time roguelikelike (a game that is not quite a roguelike). Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but the spatial system is not grid-based, which is the case with nearly all other roguelikes. Aside from the primitive character display, the game has modern effects.
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack-'n'-slash games like Diablo and NetHack, developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom (although a recent update allows you to join him and seek his release instead).
It still has a few roguelike features: the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures, random dungeon generation, permadeath, etc. Like the major roguelikes, the player is almost completely at the mercy of the RNG.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over two years ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items, and many new classes and spells. A recent update also added a deity system and the ability to use tiles.
The game includes an ingame 'wikipedia' help system which users can edit or look things up in.
Triangle Wizard Day
If one chooses to play the game on the 27th of October the player character receives special bonuses, like a bonus talent, a unique item called the Triangle Wizard Hat and resistances. Monsters will also randomly wear Triangle Wizard hats and the player can reach a special level where a the monsters celebrate the anniversary of the game itself granting the player an additional free talent. Only on this day it is possible to obtain the legendary Triangular Ring unique item.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Major Update (R 15.04)
- The Dungeons and Decorating quest now also allows lava (for the Dungeon Master) and (un)holy water as water.
- Holy, acid and unholy water now correctly works with the Brinelady powers.
- Fixed a few typos.
- Color Blast has a new visual effect if you have the Mesmerizing Colors talent.
- Friendly Cloud of Ashes spells do not obscure sight as much.
- Cursed items now also sparkle if powerfully cursed and they are on the ground.
- Gemini's priest power now works correctly with tiles.
- Corrected some starting spell levels for the Blackguard and Zombie Master classes.
- Added the Fool class, an insane mage whose abilities increase via cursed items.
- Fixed a crash involving Wuzeare's priest ability and fixed an error that stopped it from functioning properly.
- Upgraded the visual of Swirling Stars a bit.
- Total item level is now visible in the inventory (this is particularly of use to the new Fool class).
- Save games now have an extension identifying the game version.
- Traps can now also be mounted inside walls.
- Traps can now have spell talents.
- Many talents can now be deactivated (and reactivated later if needed) in the talent screen.
- Another fix for the crash on victory bug.
- Added the Dread More late game quest.
- Added the Trollmire random level.
- Fixed a bug that caused some quest creatures to be spawned inside walls.
- Added the Cloaking Aura.
- Crusade should no longer spawn creatures outside the level boundaries.
- Cursed Potions of Level Up can no longer be used in unique levels.
- Umbral Blot can now fly.
- Maevalin's random talents can no longer make him immune to damage.
- Added Delekti's Plot Hole as a unique drop.
- Updated the visual for Fury a bit.