|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Influences||NetHack, Diablo, Age of Wonders|
|Released||27 Oct, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||Sep 15, 2012 (R 15.02)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Interface||ASCII or Tiles|
|Game Length||113 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a real-time roguelikelike (a game that is not quite a roguelike). Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but the spatial system is not grid-based, which is the case with nearly all other roguelikes. Aside from the primitive character display, the game has modern effects.
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack-'n'-slash games like Diablo and NetHack, developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom (although a recent update allows you to join him and seek his release instead).
It still has a few roguelike features: the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures, random dungeon generation, permadeath, etc. Like the major roguelikes, the player is almost completely at the mercy of the RNG.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over two years ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items, and many new classes and spells. A recent update also added a deity system and the ability to use tiles.
The game includes an ingame 'wikipedia' help system which users can edit or look things up in.
Triangle Wizard Day
If one chooses to play the game on the 27th of October the player character receives special bonuses, like a bonus talent, a unique item called the Triangle Wizard Hat and resistances. Monsters will also randomly wear Triangle Wizard hats and the player can reach a special level where a the monsters celebrate the anniversary of the game itself granting the player an additional free talent. Only on this day it is possible to obtain the legendary Triangular Ring unique item.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Major Update (R 15.01)
- Fixed some typos.
- Added the Darkness Aura.
- Fixed a rare bug in the champion monster talent generation that could cause a crash.
- The Tear of the Broken God now also generates healing potions when casting spells, but only if you have less than ten.
- There are no longer zones in water and lava where you are not affected by it.
- Clarified the description of the Arcane Sanctum spell with regards to the Turn Undead spell.
- Getting a winning lottery ticket via a wish now grants bonus points if you finish the game, defeating Maevalin, holding it. It also changes the ending in a minor way.
- Walls in the minimap screen now oscillate between tiles and non-tiles to make them more distinct from floors if using tiles.
- Entrance and exits of dungeons should no longer be in the lava, water or wall.
- The new game screen now has a clock.
- The AI is now more intelligent with the usage of Dispel Magic; they now only dispel hostile enchantments on allies, beneficial enchantments on enemies and enemy invocations such as Death Storm and Pestilence.
- The effect that Dispel Magic has, which causes it to dispel multiple enchantments at higher levels, does not work if used on friendly enchantments.
- Allies that join you in the dungeon don't do so automatically, you now first need to talk to them. However, they will still be friendly and aid you (but not follow you) if you don't.
- You can tell allies to stop following you by talking to them. You can also make them hostile.
- You can now insult other deities at their altars to gain their curse. If you are an atheist you can loot the altars instead.
- Taric demands a few less quests.
- Healthbar outline is now different for creatures who can join you but have not done so.
- Examine (F2) will now prefer powerups over traps if they are in the same place.
- When all aspects in the Hall of Spirits are killed, Taeniasis will now spawn at the player's location.
- Azathothian Cultists will now deal disintegration damage if below 75% of max health instead of 60%.
- Added the Nameless One as a deity. This also adds a new ending. Following this deity makes for a more difficult game. It will also change the dialogues of several boss encounters.
- Mystra's details, for a Chosen of Mystra, in the Deity screen will no longer have text on top of other text.
- Added another fix for the game crashing upon achieving victory.
- AI will now recognize that it can use Glass Spray on flying creatures if it has the Jagged Skies talent.
- Many bosses now use various talents.
- Increased Maevalin's hitpoints.