|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Released||27 Oct, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||Jun 19, 2012 (R 14.03)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Interface||ASCII or Tiles|
|Game Length||113 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a real-time roguelikelike (a game that is not quite a roguelike). Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but the spatial system is not grid-based, which is the case with nearly all other roguelikes. Aside from the primitive character display, the game has modern effects.
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack-'n'-slash games like Diablo and NetHack, developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom.
It still has a few roguelike features: the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures, random dungeon generation, permadeath, etc. Like the major roguelikes, the player is almost completely at the mercy of the RNG.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over two years ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items, and many new classes and spells. A recent update also added a deity system and the ability to use tiles.
The game includes an ingame 'wikipedia' help system which users can edit or look things up in.
Triangle Wizard Day
If one chooses to play the game on the 27th of October the player character receives special bonuses, like a bonus talent, a unique item called the Triangle Wizard Hat and resistances. Monsters will also randomly wear Triangle Wizard hats and the player can reach a special level where a the monsters celebrate the anniversary of the game itself granting the player an additional free talent. Only on this day it is possible to obtain the legendary Triangular Ring unique item.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Major Update (R 14.03)
- Dramatically increased the cost of buying incantations in shops. The incantations found on the ground in a shop still have the normal price.
- Buying an incantation from the shopkeep no longer grants you knowledge of the spell; you also need to buy a spell level.
- If using permadeath the game is saved after opening a vault to avoid exploits.
- Gold now has a graphic if using tiles.
- Added a new stat; Encumbrance.
- Armor no longer gives a flat speed penalty and can always be worn.
- Armor now has an encumbrance value that represents a fraction of speed decrease. Encumbrance acts multiplicative.
- Added a few item prefixes.
- Added a few new general talents.
- Increased the chances champion monsters have talents.
- Added about 100 new talents.
- Increased the power of the Brute's Strength talent.
- Erachna's lair now contains holy water instead of ordinary water.
- Standing in holy water provides protection against death magic, standing in unholy water provides protection against holy magic.
- Worshipping Neptus increases these benefits.
- Death Storm with the Divine Storm talent will no longer poison water.
- The Pandemonium Fortress now contains holy water, and the Halls of Anguish unholy water. Pools of such water can also randomly be found in quest areas.
- Added auras to the game. Auras work a bit like the Paladin auras in Diablo II. They can be modded and new ones added since they have been given their own new files: auras.tri. Champion monsters may randomly have auras and auras can also be found on rare items.
- Added support for auras for unique creatures and quest related creatures. Added auras to several unique creatures.
- Call Hero heroes can no longer obtain several of the more powerful abilities of champion monsters (i.e. damage reflection etc.).
- Increased Orc base speed. Orcs also suffer from less encumbrance.
- Added the Death Knight and Gargoyle races (thx Delekti).
- Dream Images sent to kill the player by Euphoria will now pursue the player down the stairs.
- Increased the variety in champion monster names.
- Corpses should no longer sometimes show up in dark vision.