|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (email@example.com)|
|Released||27 Oct, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||November 10, 2011 (R 11.03)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Game Length||113 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a real-time roguelikelike (a game that is not quite a roguelike). Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but the spatial system is not grid-based, which is the case with nearly all other roguelikes. Aside from the primitive character display, the game has modern effects.
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack-'n'-slash games like Diablo and NetHack, developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom.
It still has a few roguelike features: the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures, random dungeon generation, permadeath, etc. Like the major roguelikes, the player is almost completely at the mercy of the RNG.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over two years ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items, and many new classes and spells. A recent update also added a deity system.
Triangle Wizard Day
If one chooses to play the game on the 27th of October the player character receives special bonuses, like a bonus talent, a unique item called the Triangle Wizard Hat and resistances. Monsters will also randomly wear Triangle Wizard hats and the player can reach a special level where a the monsters celebrate the anniversary of the game itself granting the player an additional free talent. Only on this day it is possible to obtain the legendary Triangular Ring unique item.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Major Update (R 11.03)
- You can no longer buy Chant of Discord using the INS screen if you don't already have that spell.
- Fixed some spelling errors.
- Picking up spell incantations for your familiar will now also grant a single spell level and incantation, allowing for immediate use.
- Sacrificing your familiar to Montezuma will now also grant bonus healing as was already the case with sacrificing a charmed creature.
- Increased the gold bonus gained from worshipping Gechen.
- Added a new deity: Gemini, The Mimic.
- Quest givers now have a compelling visual aura.
- Added floor spikes.
- Gorian will no longer place his Wards inside walls.
- Empowered spells will now count as empowered when checking if the spell level satisfies a Sigil's requirement.
- Added deity specific items. These items cannot be used by believers of other religions (doing so will cause a conversion). This is only a restriction on believers; atheists can use any item regardless of claimed divinity.
- Familiy heirlooms can now correctly have sockets.
- Worshipping Shaco no longer allows the cycling of items. This lead to too many exploits. You can still cycle powerups and shrines.
- Items that are family heirlooms now have this displayed in their description and no longer in their name.
- Resistances now also show their caps in the character dump.
- Character dump now also shows the number of free sockets for items.
- Added the Silent Sentinel medium level quest.
- Added the Iconoclastic shrine.
- Items found on the boss in a deity quest are now usually bound to that deity.
- Added a warning if the next level is much bigger than normal causing level generation to take longer.
- Added deity disciples.
- Fixed a bug that caused Alters dedicated to your deity to be not recognized as such.
- Added the Manual Labor low level quest.
- Added a new deity: Azmodan, The Lord of Sin.
- Made the wishes gained via Euphoria somewhat more powerful.