|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (email@example.com)|
|Released||27 Oct, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||August 29, 2010 (R 9.01)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Game Length||107 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack 'n slash games like Diablo and NetHack developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom.
Triangle Wizard differs quite a bit from most roguelikes in that the game is in real time and the action is fastpaced. Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but these characters can move around, jump, and cast spells all in real time. Spells and magical effects do have modern style effects.
It still has a few roguelike features; the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures and most notably the almost complete randomness of the levels. Another thing the game inherited from roguelikes is the difficulty; unlike most modern hack 'n slash games this game will once more put you at the mercy of the RNG. It also features permadeath and the player is treated like a monster in terms of game rules.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over a year ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items and many new classes and spells.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Update (R 9.01)
- A squared played now correctly leaves a squary trail when hasted.
- Minimap now shows entrance and exits even if they are immersed by lava, water etc. or stuck inside a wall.
- Lowered the price for gambling somewhat.
- Added several item prefixes that alter shop and gamble prices.
- Added Mage of the Cloak class.
- Fixed a small bug when wishing for a shop.
- Added Captain Jack's Compass.
- Cause of death can now be examined from player corpses, this only works for corpses generated since this update.
- Player corpses now have a chance to have an accompanying shrine dedicated to the deceased player.
- Added Shrine of Forbearance and Lore Shrine.
- You can now import and export bone files and as such share deceased adventurer data with other players.
- Items taken from corpses now contain some information of whose corpse it was etc. This way one can trace the history of some items that have been handed-down on many an occasion.
- Made Dread Touch disease somewhat less severe.
- Added over 300 talents to learn, access them via alt/shift + page up (yes I am running out of keyboard buttons ;) ).
- Fixed a long standing exploit involving equipping items, vertigo and the player increasing his/her melee damage indefinately.
- Dispel Magic now correctly recognizes the caster of an Anti-Magic Screen spell.
- Modified description of items that increase all non-physical resistances to say so instead of saying to increase all resistances.
- Highmen now correctly see invisible creatures.
- Some basic settings (such as autopickup) can now also be set in the global_settings.tri file.
- Fixed a problem causing the 77th Staff of Getter to not be working correctly.
- Fixed an error which caused the spell info for the Ice Shards spell to underestimate the damage caused.
- Humans now start with additional talents.