|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Released||27 Oct, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||July 6, 2010 (R 8.08)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Game Length||107 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack 'n slash games like Diablo and NetHack developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom.
Triangle Wizard differs quite a bit from most roguelikes in that the game is in real time and the action is fastpaced. Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but these characters can move around, jump, and cast spells all in real time. Spells and magical effects do have modern style effects.
It still has a few roguelike features; the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures and most notably the almost complete randomness of the levels. Another thing the game inherited from roguelikes is the difficulty; unlike most modern hack 'n slash games this game will once more put you at the mercy of the RNG. It also features permadeath and the player is treated like a monster in terms of game rules.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over a year ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items and many new classes and spells.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Update (R 8.08)
- Infant Torture Victims can no longer be generated.
- Totemic Spirit Companion resistance penetration increased to 10% (due to a typo it was 0.10 %).
- Totemic Whisperer gets a random circle one spell (instead of always Poison Darts) at the beginning of the game.
- Spellmantle no longer persists on corpses.
- Watcher will no longer end when killing something.
- Eldrith shrine now usually called the Eldritch shrine.
- Arcane Trickster now gains a level in Manipulate Device at every level up instead of only even levels.
- Beserker class renamed to Berserker.
- Spirit Companion can no longer walk through walls.
- Spirit Companion now gets better stats than normal familiars (of the same type).
- Certain traps now target only their immediate area.
- Added several unique items including Russian Roulette.
- Fixed a few typos.
- Added Moonbathed Gremlins and Thieving Magpies.
- Leprechauns can now steal your gold.
- Gold piles which have no gold in them disappear.
- Monstes who have lost their master will now wander around instead of walking towards the upper left.
- Monsters now wander when idle.
- If invisibility is broken by something other then the duration running out it will not replenish with permacasting. (e.g. meleeing with perma invisibility will break it).
- Updated tutorial a little bit.
- Added King Inioch.
- An empty wish now correctly not makes you a square.