|Developer||Wouter van den Wollenberg (email@example.com)|
|Released||27 Oct, 2008 (R 1.01)|
|Updated||May 31, 2010 (R 8.07)|
|Licensing||Freeware, Closed Source|
|Game Length||107 levels|
|Official site of Triangle Wizard|
Triangle Wizard is a combination of hack 'n slash games like Diablo and NetHack developed by Wouter van den Wollenberg. The goal of the game is defeating the Nameless One, an evil being who awaits you in his sanctuary deep below the Castle of Everdoom.
Triangle Wizard differs quite a bit from most roguelikes in that the game is in real time and the action is fastpaced. Creatures are still displayed by ASCII characters, but these characters can move around, jump, and cast spells all in real time. Spells and magical effects do have modern style effects.
It still has a few roguelike features; the large selection of classes and races, the large amount of creatures and most notably the almost complete randomness of the levels. Another thing the game inherited from roguelikes is the difficulty; unlike most modern hack 'n slash games this game will once more put you at the mercy of the RNG. It also features permadeath and the player is treated like a monster in terms of game rules.
Almost all information about creatures, traps, random level scripts and unique monsters is read from .ini files which can be easily modified to add new creatures or change existing ones.
Triangle Wizard has been updated a lot since the initial release over a year ago. It now also features a random item system, a random quest system, socketed items and many new classes and spells.
The above (big) one is more recent than the other two. (Notice for example the difference in GUI).
Two trailers of the game can be found on YouTube:
Latest Update (R 8.07)
- Corrected some typos in death texts.
- Added a new unique item.
- Highmen now possess true seeing.
- Added several new traps.
- Fireball and Evaporate Wall will no longer have an allergic reaction to spellmantles which in some cases could lead to an instakill.
- Friendly unique followers don't count towards your summoning limit anymore.
- Glow from Watcher runes disappears faster.
- Made a better selection of spells that can be considered good starting offensive spells.
- Several spells will now target the immediate area instead of a random unrelated area when used as cast-on-death spells (e.g. prismatic spheres).
- Added the Dread Touch disease.
- The specific diseases with which you are infected now show up in the character info and character dump.
- Pestilence no longer travels through walls and can no longer be dispelled.
- Wind Ward and Spellmantle now protect against Pestilence.
- Added two new unique items.
- Player corpses now can pass through walls etc. if the original player could.
- Priest's loveliness increased.
- Added the Totemic Whisperer class.