Sword of the Stars: The Pit
|Sword of the Stars: The Pit|
|Influences||Rogue for the Atari ST, NetHack, Diablo|
|Interface||Graphical tiles, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Game Length||potentially infinite|
|Official site of Sword of the Stars: The Pit|
Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a roguelike type game set in the popular Sword of the Stars universe, developed by Kerberos Productions.
The game has multiple features that makes it a roguelike game, most importantly:
- turn based action
- procedurally generated levels and items
- permadeath - "Iron Man" save system.
Other significant features:
- Go up levels and improve your skills as you try and find a way to survive the depths.
- 30 Levels of ancient evil science between you and the cure
- Dozens of enemies drawn from the Sword of the Stars Universe
- Over 30 weapons and armors with a variety of special effects including flamethrowers, rocket launchers, plasma cannons and powered Brawler armor
- Randomized augmentation effects to make each game unique.
- Crafting lets you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies.
- Over 60 items to discover, ranging from the familiar to the ancient exotic tech.
- Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help and hinder the player.
- Many fiendish ways to die including poisoning, disease, traps, radiation, starvation and of course…MONSTERS.
You control one of three possible characters: a Marine, an Engineer or a Scout. Each Character Type offers a different basic platform upon which to build your Skills.
A playable Alpha Demo was released on November 9, 2012. The Pit Alpha Demo (130M) was available from the following locations;
More links were added regularly, as new hosts picked up the demo.
This Alpha demo of [I]The Pit[/I] provides players with an introductory tutorial, one Playable Character, and a chance to fight through the first 5 levels of the game. The Demo represented approximately 10% of the final game content, and is missing the following features available only in the full game:
- The Marine and the Pilot Characters
- 25 more levels of content, each level bigger than the last
- Dozens of enemies
- Many more weapons and armors with a variety of special effects, including flamethrowers, rocket launchers, plasma cannons and powered Brawler armor.
- Randomized augmentation effects to make each game unique
- Crafting Mechanics, which let you make special items from bits and pieces of your enemies!
- 50 more items to discover, ranging from the familiar to the ancient exotic tech.
- Dozens of room types containing a host of exotic devices to help and hinder the player
- Additional mode of death, including poisoning, disease, and radiation
Players who ran into technical trouble or questions were directed to the Kerberos Productions forums for The Pit.
- sots-thepit.com, the official site.
- indiegogo/sots-thepit, the Indiegogo crowd-funding page for the project
- www.kerberos-productions/forums, the Kerberos Productions forums, which hosts discussion for The Pit and other games set in the Sword of the Stars Universe