RogueBasin talk:Community Portal
There was a small spambot attack recently, dunno how they overrid the spam protection (what is the current spam protection)? I had no luck blocking them via the sysop special pages. Is there any way to delete user accounts?
--Slash 01:08, 12 Apr 2007 (CEST)
I think it may be useful to update MediaWiki software to the latest version. The one that's currently installed is so old, the mind boggles. The current version has captchas and other stuff, and it's much easier to revert vandalism. Grue 10:23, 12 Apr 2007 (CEST)
IIRC Bj????rn set up the latest version when the server translation was performed? Also, this is plain vandalism, not even spam (deleting '+' and everything after a '&', what use would that have? --Slash 17:19, 12 Apr 2007 (CEST)
- It can't be the latest version. For example when you look at the diff between two revisions, there's no link to edit the revision. This feature was in Wikipedia since I joined it, probably, and that was very long time ago. So, to revert vandalism one has to click three times instead of two, pretty annoying. I don't know, maybe it's configured incorrectly, but it definitely looks very outdated. Grue 10:52, 13 Apr 2007 (CEST)
- It's definitely an old version, the Special:Version page shows as using version 1.3.9 (The 1.3.x line was last updated in November 2005). The newest release is 1.10.0 although most modern versions of MediaWiki require PHP5 though (since version 1.7). The latest version that still supports PHP4 is 1.6.10 available here. 1.6.10 was released on 20th February 2007. -- Pucechan 01:18, 28 May 2007 (CEST)
Remove the news?
I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep the news box on the main page. My thoughts:
- We have three main news sites: RGRA, Temple of the Roguelike and the RogueBasin. That's a lot of duplicating.
- I feel that the RGRA and Temple of the Roguelike are way more suited to displaying news. I see the RogueBasin as a resource of articles, guides and information about roguelikes.
- The news box could be used to display other things. Such as new articles here, articles that we would like to improve and featured roguelikes.
What do people think? Icey 14:45, 27 May 2007 (CEST)
- I agree, both RGRA and TotR seem better places for sources of news (But saying that I do have TotR as a Live Bookmark in Firefox) although I have no problem having a smaller box with the last couple of items. I'd sooner see the space taken with new articles, articles for improvement and featured roguelikes as suggested. -- Pucechan 01:18, 28 May 2007 (CEST)