|Influences||Diablo 2, Dungeons of Dredmor, Zangband, Disgaea, Final Fantasy 5, Guild Wars 2|
|Released||11 April 2014 (v0.5.0 alpha)|
|Updated||15 March 2019 (v1.4.0)|
|Licensing||Closed source, Commercial|
|Interface||Graphical tiles, Mouse, Keyboard|
|Official site of MidBoss|
MidBoss is a video game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss.
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills.
- 19 forms and over 60 abilities to unlock.
- Choose between Hardcore mode (only 1 life), 1UP mode (5 lives), and Narrative mode (infinite lives and buffs to explore the game)
- Randomly generated loot and equipment system.
- Randomized potion system. (optional)
- Traps as well as unidentified and cursed items
- Dynamic music system that ups the musical excitement when enemies are about.
- Quick Play mode for shorter, more condensed play sessions.
- Custom Games so you can play the game exactly the way you want to.
- Shareable death cards document your run and how it ended. Load these in the game for stats or to play using the same seed and settings.
- Spend death cards to start your next run with items you had when you died.
- Beating the game gives a victory card which can be used to play a new game+ mode where you start over with your items, abilities, or both.
- Detailed tooltips.
- Line of sight and fog of war systems.
- Cratefish and balls of yarn currencies.
- Randomly generated dungeon floors.
- Several types of lootable containers and chests.
- Single-file save and resume with permadeath.
- Full options menu including key rebinding and resolution options.
- Multiple monitor support and borderless windowed fullscreen.
- Color-blind modes (deuteranopia, protanopia and tritanopia), optional high contrast font, and adjustable brightness.
- 12 retro mode filters to find and unlock.
In MidBoss you play a weak monster in a dungeon: an imp. The imp is not noteworthy at all, beaten by simple skeletons or zombies, except that it has the ability to possess other creatures after it kills them. To progress through the game you level up and put points into four meta attributes (Violence, Cruelty, Relentlessness and Adamancy) which govern your playstyle. How these attributes come to expression in the core attributes (actually used to determine gameplay effects) varies depending on the multipliers of your current form. By unlocking new forms you gain access to their improved multipliers, and as you level those forms up you can unlock new abilities.