Revision as of 23:17, 8 March 2006 by Zarumba
Lua is a very nice and easy to learn scripting language specifically designed to be embedable and able to represent complex data.
- Clean syntax
- Simple, yet extremely powerful and extensible, data structure: tables (can be used as hashtables, vectors, arrays, lists, namespaces, objects, ...)
- Easily embeddable into existing projects
- Very fast
- Compiled to bytecode, which can be saved to a file
- Easy integrated with all languages that can load C libraries (also FreePascal
- Many other nifty things ;)
Lua is probably the most popular scripting language for roguelikes. Some of the projects that use Lua:
- Angband - since 3.0.0 Angband supports Lua scripts.
- ToME - a good part of the engine is in Lua and the game itself will be completly in Lua in the next version.
- H-World - all modding in this engine is done through Lua scripts