Lands of Elderlore
|Lands of Elderlore|
|Influences||Tolkien, Hobb, Elite, Dwarf Fortress|
|Updated||02/04/2007 (v. 0.0.8)|
|Official site of Lands of Elderlore|
Play fantastic adventures in a huge medieval world continiously evolving.
Elderlore is a graphical roguelike in a random yet persistent medieval world. It relies mostly on fractal landscapes and procedural cities and dungeons.
Lands of Elderlore throw the player in a medieval world tainted with fantasy, where he'll have to fight for his life. Exploring stages will succeed to battles, caracter advancement, and various quests achievement.
Game is in early dev stage, release 0.1 is planned to be the first release to be playable.
Game is both in french and english.
- Areas are now 128 x 128 wide, to allow more detailed villages
- a map of the surrounding areas is available
- villages have some houses in Area mode
- roads and rivers are created from a 1D fractal in Area mode for more diversity
- inventory is on
- player's tile show worn equipment
- you cannot pass from continent to an island anymore on World mode
- you cannot pass from continent to an iceland anymore on World mode
- you cannot cross anymore a river or a mountain when switching from Area to World mode
- 'i' key switches inventory screen on and off
- 'm' key rolls different zoomed maps in Area mode
- 'tab' key switches from Area mode to World mode
- first release of the caracter sheet is published
- playing screen has been organised
This game has been built from its beginning to provide a great replayability. It is possible to generate an infinity of different worlds, each one being built from several fractal algorithms (such as Diamond Square), and cellular automata.
Each world is populated with rivers, forests, deserts and mountains. Mountains contain several caves, and villages are connected through a network of roads.
The game will focus on the following features :
- use of graphical tiles, sound and music
- build a complete world with flora, fauna, villages, a medieval marketing economy and social relations betweens citizens
- use permanent levels (city maps, caves, dungeons), that will last all game long, and even from game to game
- integrate an advanced heritage system, where the heir of a dead or a retired player will inherite some powers and belongings from his ancestor. Thus, from game to game, the player will build a true dynasty of caracters, until he'll control an all mighty heir.
Game is in early dev stage, is coded under Python, and needs Pygame, Ocempgui, and Numeric modules to be runned from its source files.
There is also a Windows binary for the 0.0.7 release that is self-sufficient.
Beside the official site, you can find :
- A blog following in french the game development : le journal d'Elderlore.
- Most of the information used for creating the game gathered on this wiki : la bibliotheque d'Elderlore.