GearHead is one of the biggest roguelikes, and approaches to become one of the major ones if it's not already. In GearHead you can select from a lot of futuristic jobs and skills, including mecha pilot, medic, ...
Some of its main features are:
- Quests are Randomly generated, based on predefined scripts the number of which is constantly increasing.
- Skills are increased both by successfully using them or "buying" them in exchange for XP obtained by completing quests and slaying foes.
- Extensive mecha design system, allowing in-game modification of existing models.
- Two spatial scales: personal (on foot), in which the default movement uses the standard coordinate convention, and mecha which uses a "turtle" system in which you must turn and advance.
- The global plot consists of a number of smaller subplots, which are *Randomly generated* every time.
- Very open structure: All objects\plots\monsters are stored in plain text files, so it's quite easy to add\modify content.
Project webpage: http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/
GearHead has an active discussion\development group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gearhead_dev/