|Released||Jan 19, 2016|
|Updated||April 30, 2018|
|Platforms||HTML5, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux|
|Interface||Full color ASCII/Unicode|
|Game Length||Approximately an half hour|
|Official site of Dungeon Mercenary|
From brogue, it takes the runics system but extend it: you can put the (multiple) runics you find on armors/weapons/shields. This allows to "craft" your items. From Sil, it takes the combat versatility: you can wield two weapons if you're an offensive player, or wield a defensive blade (i.e. a weapon with a parry bonus) and a shield if you're a defensive player.
Dungeon Mercenary offers a wide variety of playstyles ("builds" in brogue's terms), from offensive warriors to defensive warriors, and from offensive mages, sneaking mages, and never-without-my-army-of-allies mages.
It features both entirely generated levels, and hand written levels. Generated levels may contain special areas, such as cemeteries, throne rooms, "red carpet" areas, choice treasure rooms, closing rooms, etc.
You can play with the mouse or the keyboard. It is available both as HTML5 (embedded in a browser) and as a desktop application (Windows, Mac, Linux). It is designed to work well on different screen sizes (use +/- to resize).
- The game's webpage, where you can play directly in your browser
- The developer's twitter account ? this is the most up-to-date resource
- The development blog receives posts about the development
Dungeon Mercenary relies on two libraries:
Game is complete, but there are only 14 levels for now. Content will be added with next releases.
- 1 minute of gameplay, playing a mage build, in an icy level; showing various monsters (bounty huntress, baby dragon, chaos dwarf handgunner, etc.): https://youtu.be/_Q_pWIJVRHw
- 40 seconds of gameplay, playing a fire/lightning mage build, in a mud level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CytdK5wHZto&feature=youtu.be
- 4 minutes of gameplay, playing a necromancer build, in an icy level: https://youtu.be/HSd09HjmufQ
More older videos:
- 1 minute of gameplay, a melee build, in a hand written level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PywmmHuuB_Q
- 2 minutes of gameplay, a melee build, in a generated level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsL5S6cC7KA