DoomRL follows the relatively new idea of a Coffeebreak roguelike - it is intended to be simple, fast and furious. Something that you can play from time to time without much need to concentrate.
There are several simplifications:
- there is only one "dungeon"
- inventory size is limited to 20 slots
- there are only three equipment slots
- there can be only one item per level quare
- the levels are all screen-sized
DoomRL version 0.9.8 introduced something novel into the roguelike genre - full modern sound support (using features like stereo and distance effects) and music - both taken from the original Doom by ID Software. Other features worth noting:
- simple interface
- balanced traits
- balanced and fast-paced gameplay
- several special levels
- 20 levels including a final showdown with the Cyberdemon
- a secret ending
The screenshot is quite old and outdated.