|Developer||Crypt (Vincent Primault)|
|Influences||Slash'EM,ADOM, Dungeon Master, Thief 1 & 2, HARNWorld, PnP-RPGs (eg. Tunnels & Trolls)|
|Updated||Jan 12, 2007 (version 0.6826e)|
|Licensing||Open source, Freeware|
|Interface||Tiles, ASCII, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Game Length||Open ended (planned)|
|Official site of CryptRL|
CryptRL is a Java 1.5 roguelike with sound and graphics, which uses the David Gervais tileset as well as the RLTiles library.
It's bilingual (english/french) and allows you to switch language ingame.
Its main influence is NetHack/Slash'Em (as for the ingame interaction)
The current in-dev version, described as being on "Engine Development Status", has no story nor quests yet, and the UI is not definitive. All this is being enhanced for future releases.
Development started in November 2005, it is currently a playable Alpha.
Notes: My goal is NOT to build a generic engine. My goal is to build a not so generic "on my very own way" engine. This means far future features will make possible some ghostbusters, night of the living dead, beetlejuice, haunted houses or more "serious" heroic fantasy settings, campaigns and scenarii but there will be no SpaceOp nor Cyberpunk possibilities. (nor Western, nor Steampunk, nor...etc)
- Tools (picking tools, picks, shovels, lanterns, oil flasks, etc)
- FOV and "FOH" (field of hearing)
- Dynamic lighting
- Current creatures can: melee attack, follow an ennemy, open doors, flee, pick up items, drink healing potion, cast firebolt, react when their possessions are stolen/or destroyed, track noises, guard things and others creatures, have friends and hereditary ennemies (not only the character)
- Potions, weapons, armors, shields
- Traps, chests
- Stats & skills
- Night/day cycles
- Spells, scrolls
- Weather effects (visual only)
- Secret passages and hidden items
- Pushable items
- Pregenerated and Randomly generated persistant maps
- Predefined local map editor CryptEDITOR.bat (On development)
- Strategical map editor (On development): this editor is used to create map (100*100 local maps) which force the local random generators to create determined types of local maps.
- Optional Permadeath
- Simple Animations
- ASCII or TILES display
- Traders, guards, farmers
- Pets (spell) (can be commanded to attack someone or to go somewhere on the map. Use the whistle command to call them)
- A permadead characters Graveyard (can be visited and profaned ingame)
- All of this results in several interaction and combo features. (eg. try digging in water, throw exploding traps, use the species relationships during combat, hide in water, throw a lantern in order to light an area while staying in darkness, attract a monster by making noice (like in Dark Project ;) ) and sneak around, ETC.... I give priority to interactions rather than XXX variations.)
- Unlimited three dimensions world.(Of course future enhanced generators will add more interesting contents to this "infinity")
- Holes in the ground => holes in the ceiling in inferior levels. The same is true for stairs (up<=>down) even for ingame randomly generated levels. @ and creatures can fly up/down throw holes.
- A* Pathfinding
- Evil Bunny.
- More AI. Creatures will be able to use more items, cast more spells, take more decisions, etc.
- More spells
- More monsters
- Amulets, shields, boots, gauntlets
- Cities, NPCs
- Thematic and more complex random generators for dungeons, cities and wilderness
- More AI again.
- A LOT !!!
- Several optimizations are still pending to be done
- Creature using AStar pathfinding can slow down performance if they are blocked. I must fix that.
Any bug reports must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or post on CryptRL forum: http://cryptrl.s4.bizhat.com/
- Official Website including most recent release: http://cryptmaster.free.fr/
- Backup: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cryptrl/
Under Windows run :
Other OS :
java -jar -Xms128m -Xmx128m "CryptRL.jar"
NORMAL version includes sounds (but not bonusSounds) and tiles.
If you download the NoSound or NoSound_NoTile version you may, if you like, get the sounds.zip and images.zip files and unpack them in the game folder. (\sons\ and \images\ folders would then be created)
An optional resource file available from the website, bonusSounds.zip, must be unpacked in the \sons\ambiance\ folder.
Ambient Sounds can be customized via .wav files (ACM only) on the following folders
\sons\ambiance\outdoorday \sons\ambiance\outdoornight \sons\ambiance\underground
You can launch both editors ingame.
Local Predefined Maps Editor:
The maps using the following coords are special cases
These are precreated maps. If you modify them they could be rebuilt by clicking on the "Rebuild test maps" menu item anytime before starting a new game or ingame. Note that modifications on these maps would then be lost.
Maps files are saved as .zip (only .zip maps must be loaded) in the predefinedMaps folder.
The Strategical map editor:
This editor is used to create maps which force ingame random generators. For instance you can draw a forest area, mountain area, swamp area etc (natural type) and a village, city, etc (cultural type) in this editor etc....=> random generators will use this informations ingame. (all cultural types are not yet implemented)
An "Unknown" square (black square) means that the corresponding local map will be 100% random (random natural and cultural types.)
CryptRL requires Sun JAVA 1.5 (or superior)
Developped and tested under Windows XP.
Not tested under Mac OS, Win98, WinMe nor Win2000.